Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Double Take

A couple weeks ago I was perusing IGN for the latest video game news. I came across their list of the top 25 Xbox 360 games. Here it is if you want to check it out yourself:

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/104/1045042p1.html

Now as much as I enjoy reading IGN, I find myself disagreeing with a lot of their opinions and positions on certain things about games. Even so I was surprised at how many more than worthy games were excluded while there were several that, in my opinion, have no place anywhere near this list. So, combining some of IGN's top games and some of mine, I decided to come up with my own list of the top 25 Xbox 360 games...so far. I have to add "so far" because let us not forget that the 360 is still thriving and there's quite a large number of huge games that are coming out next year which could bump a lot of these games off this list in the future.

See what you think of my top 25 list compared to IGN's. Keep in mind that this is in no particular order:
  • Mass Effect
  • Gears of War
  • Rainbow Six: Vegas 2 - Terrorist Hunts, combined with earning experience to rank up and unlock kickass guns and body armor for your character, give this game virtually infinite replayability.
  • Dragon Age: Origins - Read about my obsession with this game in my previous post.
  • Dead Space
  • Resident Evil 5 - It's almost criminal that IGN omitted this game from their list. Not only is this one of the best Xbox 360 games available but it is also one of the best Resident Evil games ever made.
  • The Darkness - One of the most emotionally affecting video games I've ever played. Rarely have I ever been so invested in a video game character's success and ultimate fate.
  • Lost Planet
  • Halo 3
  • Gears of War 2 - Bigger set pieces and more variety in the campaign missions make this sequel bigger and badder than the original game. The only downside is that, in trying to improve the first game's horrendous story, the writers turned Dom into a whiny bitch and tried to force some awfully heavy handed emotional bullshit.
  • Call of Duty: Modern Warfare
  • Lost Odyssey
  • Prey - One of the most creative, mind boggling FPS's I've ever played.
  • The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
  • Call of Duty 2 - The best World War II FPS that was ever made (I think).
  • Halo 3: ODST - Firefight...'nuff said.
  • Prince of Persia
  • Batman: Arkham Asylum - Best superhero video game ever made.
  • Fable 2 - Once again, how IGN left this game off their list is just baffling. It's one of the greatest action RPG's the gaming world has ever seen.
  • Assassin's Creed - Honestly, I am not a fan of this game by any stretch of the imagination. I think it is a terrible game. However, there are a lot of people who lost their minds over how "amazing" they thought the game was and just because I personally don't like it doesn't mean that it's not an important game for the 360.
  • Left 4 Dead - Yet another game that I'm not really a fan of. Still, the game pretty much revolutionized cooperative multiplayer. Plus you get to battle through the Zombie Apocalypse without being in any real danger and who in their right mind wouldn't want a piece of that?
  • Bioshock - Played the demo but couldn't really get into it. The game does have a cool setting and the story is supposed to be pretty good. Critically acclaimed and loved by many means this game certainly earns it's place on the list.
  • Borderlands - I haven't played this game yet but something tells me I'll be getting it for Christmas ::wink, wink:: Everything I hear about this game confirms my suspicions that it's basically an FPS version of Diablo 2 which means that it probably fucking rules.
  • Fallout 3
  • Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

No comments: